Unable to load image

Not all selfharm is freakish

Hey guys, I'm really only making this post to find people who agree with me :marseysurejan:

Overall its been established that nobody on this site really likes selfharm. :marseyagreefast:

BUT! Selfharm that I find silly are the ones that are for attention. :marseyshrug:

For example

a - teen slices wrist because she's sad

OR

b - cool ass scars

Thank you @HEAV3N

(https://watchpeopledie.tv/h/selfharm/post/38101/ram-scarification)

I dunno I just saw that n thought it shouldn't be hated because it's selfharm but kinda appreciated because it's cool, even if it's not OC.

love ya guys!!

:#marseyrylan:

Jump in the discussion.

No email address required.

scarification is badass

Jump in the discussion.

I completely agree

Jump in the discussion.

I have a scar from falling off a table while decorating at work, and driving the chair leg into my lower leg. Still has the impression of the round circle of the bottom of the chair leg 40 yrs later. I've never worn shorts because that scar ruined what were quite pretty legs. I have the teeth impression on my arm from my hateful younger sister from when we were kids- her top teeth forever scar my arm. I don't think it's cool, either. Cripes apparently these are cool, or only if I did it intentionally?

Jump in the discussion.

Depends on the person, natural scars can be cool

But scarification only refers to the intentional scarring of the human body for art (or ritual like coming of age in some circumstances), like a tattoo. Lots of cultures around the world do it and it's a form of body art that i highly respect

Jump in the discussion.

I get it, I just don't "get it". But my first nursing job was with Veterans, and they all had these awful navy tattoos. Notable the Bluebird of Happiness or anchors- which by the time they were in their 80s or 90s looked horrible on their bodies. I've hated tattoos since. But that's my problem, not anyone else's.

I absolutely get the art part, though. In Africa and south America scarification has been used for years. But I don't get it (scarification) on white people in the western world, though. It's not part of our culture, so it has to be mental illness, self expression or art...

Jump in the discussion.

It's not a part of traditional European culture so it has to be mental illness? Cultural ideas are not trapped things, ideas and aesthetic spread from culture to culture. Europeans seeing an African tradition and adopting it themselves is merely another example of this

Jump in the discussion.

No. Maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough- I said it could be mental illness, artistic or self expression (etc, etc)- there are many reasons for doing what you do. But mental illness absolutely plays a part. So does art. So does religion, etc.

Jump in the discussion.

Just wait til you're old- let me tell you those scars won't be cool, they will be absolutely ugly. Tattoos get terrible too. Bodies stretch, and skin stretches and no one is able to keep their 20 yr old self when they are 60 or 70. Then those cool scars won't be great conversation pieces.

Jump in the discussion.

Not what I meant by scarification but even here I'll disagree. It's a matter of aesthetic, scars look cool on old people too imo, so do tattoos

Jump in the discussion.

I completely understand your points, but don't really agree. But it's fine to have differences- my bias as an 18 yr old graduate nurse, was that those old WW2 tattoos were ugly. I've never really changed on that, despite how gorgeous tattoos are now. I still see it through that old bias.

Jump in the discussion.

Link copied to clipboard
Action successful!
Error, please refresh the page and try again.