Unable to load image

What Is Your Opinion On Gay Marriage?

Wasn't sure which flair to put this under.

Jump in the discussion.

No email address required.

The concept of marriage licenses as a whole is absurd. I need the government’s approval to marry? Cousin ain’t gonna take care of herself, you know?

Jump in the discussion.

The goverment only gets involved because of taxes, inheritance and so on. The whole legal side of it. If you only do the religious ceremony, there´s nothing legally binding.

Jump in the discussion.

Yeah, but it’s called a license. A license implies that permission is granted by them, as if I do not have an inherent right to marry.

Jump in the discussion.

well, you don´t have that inherent right, there are requirements. You can only marry a person who is legally able to consent. They have to be old enough and in a mental state that allows consent. They can´t be pressured into consenting, that´s not allowed. You can marry only one person that isn´t already married to someone else. and so on and so on...

Jump in the discussion.

Some restrictions may apply, as with other rights. But I don’t need a license for a right.

Jump in the discussion.

It has to be approved by the coverment and you have to meet certain requirements. Isn´t that a license?

Jump in the discussion.

No, a license is effectively a permission slip. Meeting some requirements? Fine. A necessity. Approval from the government? Who are they to approve or disapprove of a marriage at all?

Jump in the discussion.

The goverment males the laws so they decide what they aprove or disapprove of

Jump in the discussion.

Some places you don't need to pay you just need to sign a form and wait 3 days.

Jump in the discussion.

Bro you need licenses for everything its all about the money

Jump in the discussion.

You don't need the governments approval to get married. People get married within their own religious groups all of the time and the government can't touch them. It's 100% legal. You just don't have access to the benefits of a government marriage license.

The government uses licenses to start the process of recognizing shared medicare benefits and social security/retirement benefits upon a spouses death. Where I live the cost of a license is between $40 and $75. That's a small price to pay to potentially save and gain hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Jump in the discussion.

They shouldn’t really charge for it at all. But who am I kidding…

Jump in the discussion.

I'd agree with you if the process was just signing a piece of paper and throwing it in a drawer, but it's far from that. We have to consider that the paper it's on, along with its ink, cost money. The people filing the paper need to be paid for their time. They need to work within a building with desks, computers, fax machines, printers, scanners, chairs, doors, utilities, etc. Whoever programs the software or manages the networks needs to be paid. This information is provided through a nation wide network with its own buildings, employees, and bills. The medical providers aren't accepting people and providing their own paperwork, computers, managers, employees, etc. for free. There are thousands of employees, bills, and resources who are taking only a fraction of a penny of that $40 - $75.

Jump in the discussion.

Take it out of my taxes.

Jump in the discussion.

You'd still have to notify them of the marriage in some legal and verifiable capacity, like a notarized form signed by both parties among third party witnesses, which is what that license is. And if the fee is with state taxes then you'd be paying for every marriage and divorce in the state rather than just your own. How is that situation any better or less costly for you personally?

If anything change the terminology to leave marriage and license out of the wording. "Form UCB-T2 - Betwixt government benefits for dedicated partners and families." or whatever. Marriage can remain a social contract/status within your community. Filing form UCB-T2 will allow two dedicated partners to merge health care, social security, and pensions.

Jump in the discussion.

Yeah, but notifying them is one thing. We’re talking about license, though.

Jump in the discussion.

Link copied to clipboard
Action successful!
Error, please refresh the page and try again.